Equality & Diversity Policy
The policy applies to all staff, volunteers and anyone working with, or on behalf of, Wellbeing 4 Life CIC (hereafter referred to as “Motivated Minds”).
Motivated Minds are committed to promoting equality and diversity in all its activities to promote inclusive processes, practices and culture.
- We will strive to work to eliminate any unlawful or unfair discrimination including direct or indirect discrimination, discrimination by association, discrimination linked to a perceived characteristic, harassment and victimisation.
- We will remain proactive in taking steps to ensure inclusion and engagement for all the people who work for and with us.
- We will continue to strive towards a culture that is diverse and inclusive that recognises and develops the potential of all staff and service users.
- We recognise the business benefits and opportunities of having a diverse community of staff who value one another and realising the contribution they can make to Motivated Minds.
This includes promoting equality and diversity for all irrespective of:
- ethnicity (including race, colour and nationality)
- gender reassignment
- religion or belief
- sexual orientation
- marriage and civil partnership
- pregnancy and maternity
- refugees and asylum seekers
- people with diverse communication needs
Under the Equality Act (2010) these are known as “protected characteristics”.
As the policy statement says, it applies to all staff, clients, trustees, volunteers and those with whom we work in partnership.
Our approach to equality and diversity is based on the following principles:
- Fairness We will work in a way which promotes equality and diversity and which does not discriminate against any of our staff / volunteers / contractors /partners /clients.
- Respect We will work in partnership with staff / volunteers / contractors /partners /clients to encourage a culture where everyone receives respect and can voice their diverse needs, knowing that they will be heard.
- Honesty We will work to ensure that our practices are transparent and open to scrutiny.
- Providing Opportunity We will work towards a culture where all our staff / volunteers / contractors /partners /clients have the opportunity to reach their full potential.
- Expertise and Excellence We will work to high standards to ensure that the diverse needs of clients are recognised and met.
All staff / volunteers / contractors /clients to whom this policy applies are responsible for ensuring their own understanding of this policy and for seeking clarification on any aspect of the document as required.
All staff / volunteers and those carrying out work or delivering services on behalf of Motivated Minds and our partners, are required to adhere to this policy and everyone is expected to support the Motivated Minds in promoting good relations and challenging discrimination and harassment.
Implementing this Policy
Motivated Minds will ensure that:
- Staff/volunteers and contractors are made aware of this policy through a range of communications and training activities.
- Staff and volunteers are provided with appropriate equality training and development.
- Communications materials reflect the diverse community and help to promote equality of opportunity.
- Prompt action is taken in response to any alleged discrimination, victimisation or harassment.
- Staff involved in recruitment are offered appropriate training on equality and diversity matters and have a clear understanding of their responsibilities within this policy.
- External contractors are made aware of their responsibilities in relation to equality and diversity and the requirement to comply with relevant Motivated Minds Policies.
- Learning and teaching material, where practicable, is developed and reviewed to be inclusive in its content.
If a staff/volunteer or client perceives that they may have been unfairly treated in respect of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation background, they should contact the Line Manager or report to the Managing Director.